I saw a few ‘Authors I’m thankful for posts earlier this week’ but I wanted to do mine today, since I’ve decided we’re celebrating Thanksgiving this year. (I really should have celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving, since me and the boys are Canadian and all, but I didn’t think of it until it was too late.)
So here are some authors/writers I’m thankful for:
1. Armistead Maupin – for writing the books that helped me through a shitty time in my life and for creating characters that are so real that I cried when I met them again in his latest novels. Also, for making me smile like this.
2. Susie Day – Susie doesn’t know this, but when I read Big Woo! I thought, “She’s so cool and hilarious! I want her to be my friend!” And now she is. (That’s not creepy, is it?) Plus the two books she’s had published this year have been two of my favourite books of the year.
3. Nora Ephron – She wrote my all-time favourite film. I have a framed photo of her on my office wall. I still can’t think about her without crying.
4. Anne Lamott – Honest and hilarious and inspirational. I’d love her if only for ‘shitty first drafts’ and ‘take it bird by bird’, but there is lots more to love besides. (Writers: if you haven’t read Bird by Bird, you really must.)
5. Russell T Davies – I wouldn’t call myself a Whovian (I’m still only part of the way through Tennant’s reign, so I don’t think I’d be allowed to), but Doctor Who: The Writer’s Tale is the best book on writing I’ve ever read. Comforting and inspiring. Oh and hilarious, obv.
6. Catherine Newman – I love Catherine’s writing so much. She’s the only writer on this list I’ve actually sent a fan letter (okay, email) to. And she replied. I re-read her book, Waiting for Birdy at least once a year (it was partly responsible for convincing me to have a second child, so I’m extra grateful for that!).
9. Soraya Chemaly – Every article I’ve read of hers has been brilliant. Often difficult and upsetting to read, but clear, passionate, and incredibly important.
8. Luisa Plaja – Luisa and I met on an online writers’ forum years ago. We started writing YA at the same time. We founded Chicklish together (although she does ALL the work). She’s been there right from the very beginning and, although we don’t get to chat/email/IM as often as I’d like, I don’t know what I’d do without her.
This was an off-the-top-of-my-head list and I know there are lots more writers I could have (and should have) included, but that’ll have to do for now.
Who – or what – are you thankful for?